What is SPREZZATURRA?
- It’s an Italian word, originating from Castiglione’s 16th century book: The Book of the Courtier.
- Style that looks elegant, not appearing that you tried hard to get there
- Graceful restraint; perhaps a holding of one’s tongue.
- The ability to disguise what one really desires, feels, thinks, and means or intends behind a mask of apparent reticence and nonchalance.”
- Studied carelessness
- Draping a throw blanket over the corner of a sofa, making it look like an artistic accident.
to be cool, decisive, precise —
yes, while the barn door hits you in the face.”
— Frank O’Hara
Photo taken from stock images of the 1953 film Roman Holiday, starring Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.